Brooklyn man faces 25 years in jail for yeshiva mowdown

New York Post

By WILLIAM J. GORTA

February 16, 2011

The Brooklyn man accused of mowing down a beloved yeshiva teacher faces up to 25 years in prison after a grand jury indicted him on aggravated vehicular homicide charges.

Anel Kolenovic ran through a red light at Ocean Avenue and Avenue N while driving recklessly on Nov. 29, 2010, killing Moshe Berkowitz and injuring two other women, authorities charged.

He was initially charged with criminally negligent homicide – a much less serious crime – but a grand jury returned a 16-count indictment, which included previously uncharged drunk-driving offenses.

Anel Kolenovic is arraigned on manslaughter charges in the second degree at Brooklyn Supreme Court
Spencer a. burnett
Anel Kolenovic is arraigned on manslaughter charges in the second degree at Brooklyn Supreme Court.


Kolenovic’s blood alcohol content was 0.02 percent in a test taken three hours after the crash. The legal limit for driving is .08.

But, according to Todd Greenberg, Kolenovic’s lawyer, prosecutors are attempting to "reverse extrapolate" to figure out what his blood alcohol content was at the time of the crash.

Greenberg said experts have called the method "dubious at best" and said the formula does not take into account differences in people’s metabolism.

"They use an average," he said.

Greenberg said Kolenovic’s heart went out to the families of Berkowitz and the two injured women, but, "this is a tragic car accident."

Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Patricia DiMango ordered Kolenovic’s bail doubled to $400,000 abd told him to return to court on April 14.

Let Us Know About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close
Super Lawyers